What We Do
Provide shelter and basic foods in a safe, loving and healthy environment.
Depending on donations received, support secondary school education and technical training for the children under our care.
In the News
APRIL 24, 2016
We're excited to launch our new website, to help educate on what we're up to, and to help solicit donations in order to build out our programs.
Cannan Orphanage is supported by the efforts of willing volunteers from all over the world. We are always looking for additional help so we can change the lives of Kenyan orphans forever. Please contact us at Cannan.email@example.com for more information.
- Teaching the younger children
- Food preparation and serving
- Organizing creative and artistic activities, such as singing, dancing, drawing and painting
- Organizing sports and other physical activities
- Motivational speaking, empowering children to be self-reliant by life skills lessons
- Washing clothes, dishes, utensils
- Manual labour (building, gardening, painting, etc.)
- Bathing younger children and babies
- Ensuring the compound is clean
- Administrative work, public relations, marketing
Our operations are entirely supported by voluntary donations as we receive no funds from the Kenyan government or NGOs. The family that operates the orphanage lives on-site, supports the children and does not take a salary. Visitors to the orphanage are welcome. Please contact us to arrange.
Our immediate needs: Rent, food, electric and water bills, school fees for children, medical costs and medication, clothes and shoes, mattresses and bedding. The current state of the orphanage can only afford to barely cover basic standards to keep the children off the street. Water supplies are irregular, and the compound can flood when it rains. 28 children are cared for by Cannan, plus volunteer and additional caregivers.
Longer-term needs: Once our basic needs are met, our goal is to build a permanent structure for the orphanage, which will provide more space and eliminate rent costs.
Admin fees: 95% of funds received go directly to the orphanage to support the children (Paypal takes a 3% fee plus transfer costs us 2%).